Wednesday, February 2, 2011

How 'Bout That Groundhog?

Today is Groundhog Day. According to the superstition, if the groundhog sees his shadow we have 6 more weeks of winter weather.

Considering the major storm covering ¾ of the country I’m sure lots of folks believe the groundhog had a big shadow sometime in the past.

But, we all know it’s a superstition. A superstition is “an irrational belief in or notion of the ominous significance of a particular thing, circumstance or occurence” according to Webster.

If you look at your life you’ll see lots of superstitions you rely on to make decisions about situations, people and activities. I’ve always thought that things happen to me in threes. I something happens once I’ve usually got two other occurrences right around the corner. The other day I spilled a glass of milk. Immediately, I thought, “Ok…I’ve got two more coming.” Sure enough, within a day or two I had spilled two more glasses of liquid. And, that’s not something that happens to me on anything like a regular basis. \

Yes, I realize that my belief is not based on logic.

What superstitions are you holding on to?

No comments:

Post a Comment