Tuesday, February 15, 2011

TV Commercials and Eating the Elephant

We all have onerous tasks to complete every now and then. They might range from cleaning out a closet to serving as executor of an estate after the loss of a loved one.

Procrastination is a normal response.

Let me tell you, spending a lot of time trying to figure out why you are procrastinating is simply an exercise in…procrastination.

I’ve told folks for years that the best way to beat procrastination is to find a reward that matters to you and put it on the other side of the task you are putting off. The reward will often pull you through.

However, even if you have the reward out there, how do you get started?

One…step… at… a… time.

One tiny thing you can do to get you moving.

My personal strategy involves TV commercials. If I’m watching a program I like, during every commercial I’ll hop up (or sit down at the computer) and do something on my project.

Little by little it gets me into the flow and allows me to chip away at the task.

Eating the elephant one bite at a time works like magic.

What’s your elephant looking like right now?

No comments:

Post a Comment