Tuesday, March 8, 2011

It's Not In the Cards

CBS Sunday Morning had a wonderful piece about business cards. It showed some beautiful and expensive cards that were absolute art. The graphic artists and consultants explained the importance of having a great card.

It was all a bunch of crap.

Ironically, this morning I read a blog about how you could do away with cards altogether.

I did that years ago.

When I meet someone and they ask me for a card I simply say that I just gave my last one away. Or, I’m honest with them and tell them that I see cards as reactionary tools and that if they will give me their card, or basic contact information, I’ll promise to be in touch with them. I make it easy for them, they won’t have to lift a finger. Works every time.

Giving a card and waiting to be contacted doesn’t work for me. And it won’t work for you.

I’m for being proactive. Take the bull, or card, in your own hands and be the force who acts and makes things happen. Don’t wait on them.

In your work and personal life, what are you waiting on? What might you being doing that gives someone else the power to keep your life from moving in the direction you want it to move?

1 comment:

  1. Mike, why not do both? Get their contact info and call them, while giving them your info.

    Besides, how will you win free lunch at your local restaurants? ;)

    ReplyDelete