Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Read On!

Whenever I think, say or write the following fact it stuns me: 95% of Americans never read a whole book after they graduate from high school or college…for…the…rest…of…their…lives.

And there is a direct correlation between success—monetary and life—and reading. Leaders are readers.

Today is the 13th annual National Education Association's (NEA) Read Across America Day. The celebration is an annual reading awareness and motivation program that calls for everyone to celebrate reading on the birthday of beloved children's author Dr. Seuss.

Some of you know that I’m in the process of reading Paul Johnson’s A History of the American People. At 950 pages it’s a bear, but I’m doing it 10 pages a day, and I haven’t missed a day in three weeks.

That’s in addition to two newspapers, a basketful of magazines chunks of a variety of other books, and what I read online.

If I’ve got time you’ve got time. I grab a few minutes here and there and with a Kindle e-reader I have books handy in all kinds of situations. Yesterday at the doctor’s office I caught up on Trevor Bayne, the Daytona 500 winner in Sports Illustrated.

Reading keeps your mind moving in a positive direction; new thoughts, new ideas, new ways to see and appreciate life.

If you aren’t a consistent reader pick one book, any book, and slowly but surely work your way through it. Don’t worry what book it is, don’t worry about how long it takes. If you only read one book a month that puts you waaaaaaay ahead of most of the folks you’ll come in contact with on a regular basis.

And as one of my favorite Dr. Seuss books is titled, Oh, the Places You’ll Go!

What’s your book?

1 comment:

  1. Geraldine Graves HerringMarch 2, 2011 at 6:16 AM

    This is scarry, isn't it Mike? I dare say that most students do Not even complete one book. They will scan to get a book report done, or look for Cliff Notes. Your statistics should be shared with parents and teachers so that they can encourage reading. Of course this comes from a retired English teacher, but no matter what profession one chooses, if you are not a reader, it shows. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete