Monday, April 11, 2011

It's Just You

Yesterday, I received some tough health-related news from one of my best friends. He’s one of those good-to-the-bone people and you always hate to see good people in difficult situations.

He mentioned a mutual acquaintance who had heard the news and said, “He’ll be in this with me.”

Well, to be honest, he won’t. When we face difficult challenges other people may be able to comfort us or ease the way, but they are not in it with us. We are the only ones in it.

I know, I know, some of you are thinking, “Here goes negative, pessimistic Mike.”

Not really.

I see these times in life as tests that allow us to find out who we are. And then, when we know who we are, we understand one of two things (or both): 1. We are who we need to be. 2. We now know what we need to learn to get to who we want to be.

You don’t have to face a health crisis to ask yourself, “Am I number 1 or number 2?”

No comments:

Post a Comment