Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Geeks, India, Magic and Am I an Idiot?

“Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.” Arthur C. Clarke (writer and futurist)

I often think of Clarke’s quote when something goes wrong with my computer, printer, telephone, television, Kindle or other piece of technology.

But, I look at it from the other end and wish that someone or something could magically fix them.

I often find that it’s not the fault of the technology, it’s my mistake. As my techie buddies would say, “It’s a PICNIC. Problem In Chair, Not In Computer.”

At the same time, there’s seldom anyone around to point out the mistake so I’m sitting here thinking it’s a technology problem.

And just for the record…not that I’d mention any names…but, hey…Earthlink…it’s hard for me to get my email fixed if I can’t understand what someone in India is saying.

I’m no Luddite. I love what technology can do for us. I mean, how else could I watch the ‘Heels beat Tennessee in overtime in the Music City Bowl over and over if I didn’t have DVR?

I just wish I didn’t feel so stupid when the Geeks push one button or send one command and then everything is OK and they say, “Oh, it was just the __________ (fill in the blank with a techie term you’ve never heard of). Everyone knows that.”

Well, no Einstein, everyone doesn’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment