Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Mama's Drivers Test

My mother has known for awhile that she had to get her drivers license renewed. She's 83.

One of her little blue-haired buddies planted a seed of fear by saying, “Oooooh, it’s the signs that will confuse you.”

That small seed grew into a pretty big monster within a week or two. Every time I’d go see her she’d have the drivers manual out on the dining room table and it would be open to the two pages with signage.

I worked with her on sign identification as did her best friend and my brother. Each time we talked to her she expressed her fears about the test and the signs.

Until…..she figured out that there were only two basic kinds of signs, regulatory and warning. After that things got easier.

Yesterday, on her birthday, my mother had her drivers license renewed. I am very proud of her.

What is a fear or challenge in your life that, if you boil it down to a couple of simple issues, becomes less fearful or gets you closer to overcoming the challenge?

No comments:

Post a Comment