Monday, May 30, 2011

Still a Work in Progress

Since 1775, 1.2 million Americans have made the ultimate sacrifice so that we could remain, as Winston Churchill called us, “the last, great hope of mankind.”

The vast majority of factors that determine who we are and what types of lives we lead are based on where we are born. If you look at the history of mankind, to be born in the United States is not just a privilege, it’s a blessing.

When I think of those 1.2 million fellow-Americans who sacrificed so that I could go to the Food Lion without someone checking my papers or shooting at me I’m humbled and ashamed.

I’m humbled by what they gave.

I’m ashamed that we haven’t done more with our opportunity.

Luckily, we’re still a work in progress.

Have a wonderful Memorial Day and remember it’s purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment