Thursday, July 7, 2011

The Dolt Ceiling

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankind." John Donne

I get the quote above. Truly, I do.

But, the fever created about the Casey Anthony trial is beyond me.

I realize that the whole event is sickening and sad. But, if you know more details than: a child died, the mom went on trial and was found not guilty, and maybe that’s not the whole story…then you’ve spent too much time on it.

Some friends of mine were all over Facebook about the trial and verdict.

When I pointed out that what happened had and has no direct effect on our lives…other than to make people sad and angry…a couple of them lit into me about my callousness.

Yes, this is terrible. Does it affect my life or yours? No.

My point is this: If you are going to spend time and focus attention (see yesterday’s blog) on something make it an issue that has a positive effect on your life and the lives of others.

My view was validated in today’s political cartoon in the Raleigh News and Observer. On the left side of the cartoon President Obama and a member of Congress are studying the budget. On the right side is a large group of people staring at a television with a story about Casey Anthony showing. The President says, “I’m also worried about America’s dolt ceiling.”

Amen.

Focus on the things that affect your life positively.

I’ll ask again, “Where is your attention?”

No comments:

Post a Comment