Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Hot As Hooties!!

Yesterday I was in Wal-Mart (I could hear my brain cells exploding) and heard a woman describe the weather as, “Hot as hooties!”

Headed to Wilmington today to present a seminar, “Library Rumble: Challenges for Today’s Library,” for about 50 folks. Should be fun.

It’s supposed to be 100 in Wilmington today. That’s hot as hooties, even for the beach!

On days like today when I see folks working outside I’m just glad I have a college degree, some simple skills people actually pay me to use and the opportunities to make a living.

In short, I have options other than doing some sort of labor that would have me out in this heat, or cold, or rain. I’m also not rolling a handtruck through a warehouse, sitting at desk in a cubicle, standing beside a machine or cleaning commodes.

Nothing wrong with honest labor but if your options are so few that you HAVE to do some of those things to make a living it’s easy to end up having a small life.

Quality of life is about options.

When was the last time you learned something new? Something you could use to make your life better? Something that gave you more options?

No comments:

Post a Comment