Friday, August 26, 2011

THUMP! THUMP! THUMP!

My most vivid memory of the last big hurricane to come this way, Fran, in 1996, was lying in bed and listening to trees fall.

There would be a loud, THUMP! And then another. And then another.

The power was out so I took a flashlight, eased downstairs and looked out the kitchen window. I could see the trunk of one of the largest pine trees in the back yard lying parallel to the back deck. It had missed by 2 feet.

I went back to bed and listened. THUMP! THUMP!

Over the next few months I cut and hauled 66 trees out of the yard.

The good part about a hurricane or tornado or almost any other natural disaster is that they happen fast. This will all be over by Sunday morning and Irene will have moved north.

But, the effects may last for decades.

I can’t believe it, of all times, I’m reminded of the Jimmy Buffett song, “A Permanent Reminder of a Temporary Feeling.”

Forty-eight hours from now we’ll be helping our friends to the east and north dig out and rebuild. Let’s keep them in our thoughts and prayers.

Wherever you are and whatever you are facing have a good weekend. See you Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment