Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Will Someone Puhleeeze Open a Window!!

I love beans. I love black-eyed peas, pinto beans, navy beans, snaps and field peas, small peas, lentils, pork and beans, red beans, black beans, green beans...almost any kinds of beans you can find.

However, beans do not like me.

I’ve read some evidence that our digestive systems are set up to process beans easily but we eat so much meat that our systems get out of synch and that’s why some of us have difficult time digesting our friends, the legumes.

So, I only eat beans now if I know that I don’t have to do a seminar for a few days or if I won’t be around anyone but my guy friends for awhile. Yes, ladies, we think the results are funny. Always have, always will.

On a similar note: This summer I’ve declared off hard spirits. I love a cold beer or a glass of wine but I’ve finally realized that the hard stuff causes changes in my personality that I’m not happy about or proud of.

This is the first summer in 40 years that I’ve not had a cocktail.

Most of the time it’s easy to find what’s good for us. We can see it, smell it, feel it, taste it, hear it and we know.

Sometimes, though, we don’t do a good job of identifying what’s not good for us. Or, when we do, letting go of it takes too much courage and effort. Habits are hard to break.

Even the Declaration of Independence states, “all experience hath shewn that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed.”

Sometimes you just have to Cowboy Up and realize that it’s time to let it go.

What do you need to say goodbye to in your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment