Wednesday, September 28, 2011

I’M NOT FAT, I’M JUST HUSKY!!

When I was little boy I was a pretty chunky kid…hell, I’m a pretty chunky adult now, but I’ll get to that.

I hated it when my mother took me shopping for school clothes and we had to buy the “Husky” size.

Recently, my doc suggested that I take a series of tests just to make sure I’m as healthy as we both believe I am.

The whole thing was pretty easy. They checked the health of my arteries, checked for abdominal aneurisms, heart disease and Lord knows what else.

For all I know they checked to see if I still had lead in my pencil. Which, come to think of it, would be a worthless test because right now I don’t have anyone to write to.

I aced four out of five of the tests. The only concern was my height/weight ratio, my Body Mass Index (BMI).

I’m not going to tell you what the number was, but I believe my category was…Hippo.

The explanation said that my weight was fine but I needed to be 6’3”.

WHAT THE HELL DO THEY KNOW. I ‘M THE ONE WHO SEES ME IN THE MIRROR EVERY DAY SO…oh, yeah….ok…. Shut up, Mike.

It hit me that if I’m going to get into this skydiving thing I probably can put less stress on myself by starting to get a little more serious about weight loss.

I’ve lifted weights for over 45 years and am in the gym about 3 times a week, but what I’m doing ain’t good for paring off flab. As Arnold said 30 years ago, “You can’t flex fat.” And I’ve been deluding myself for decades that husky is a good thing.

Time to get a little more serious about this and I need your help.

I’m going to put it out to you. I’M GOING TO LOSE 20 POUNDS BY JAN 1. That’s only a little over 6 pounds per month. A healthy way to do it.

So, if you see me, talk to me on the phone, email me, or see me on FaceBook I want you to ask, “How’s the weight loss thing goin’?”

What have you been fooling yourself about for years (it doesn’t have to be weight) and what do you need to face up to?

1 comment:

  1. walking here with a smile. take care.. have a nice day ~ =D

    Regards,
    http://www.lonelyreload.com (A Growing Teenager Diary) ..

    ReplyDelete