Thursday, September 8, 2011

Just Blow Me Away

Spent yesterday afternoon at ParacleteXP, a $10 million, 3-story, vertical wind tunnel near Fayetteville. Go to paracletexp.com and check’em out.

Here’s the technical definition: “A Vertical Wind Tunnel is a wind tunnel that moves air up in a vertical column. It's mostly for purposes of recreation, but also serves as a valuable training device for skydivers and the military.”

Here’s my definition: THIS IS THE MOST FUN YOU CAN HAVE AND STILL HAVE YOUR CLOTHES ON!!

Although the wind, at 120-150 miles per hour depending on your weight, feels like it’s trying to blow your jumpsuit off.

My instructor, Justin Hodge, was great. Not once did he say, “What’s a 59-year old fat man like you doing this for?”

I did it because it’s as close to flying as you’ll truly get. A skydive is basically a controlled fall through the sky. Flying in the wind tunnel is…flying.

Justin gave me a pointer that has transferred into a life lesson: Small is fast and big is slow. The smaller you make your body (legs and arms in) the faster you go. When you spread your limbs out you slow down.

Ain’t life like that? The more stuff, involvements, baggage and stresses you have the slower you go. Think about a concept like your/our carbon footprint. The more you can shed some of that stuff the better we all are and the faster you can go. The more you speed up, the more fun you have.

For instance, I have a ton of books. I shed about half-a-ton earlier in the summer so I’d be able to better see what I have and can use. I’m getting ready to shed about half-a-ton more after learning my new lesson.

Small is faster and faster is better.

Don’t you need to be a little smaller so you can move a little faster and have a little more fun?

No comments:

Post a Comment