Monday, September 26, 2011

Wet Leaves and a VERY Large Beer

I have a large pile of wet leaves in my back yard.

For the last couple of months I’ve been looking at an area of my yard around some bushes that needs raking. So, yesterday, in between sitting on the deck listening to the Panthers game, smoking a great cigar, drinking a VERY large beer, reading the newspaper and magazines and fantasizing about…mmm…well…ok, moving on…, I thought, “Today’s the day we do something about those leaves.”

We, you understand, is me, so at a slow point in the game and before getting another VERY large beer we grabbed a rake and cleaned out the problem patch.

And left the pile of wet leaves in the middle of the yard.

I have some friends and neighbors who would have gained momentum by the initial outburst of energy and would have gone ahead and raked the rest of the yard, or at least would have raked the pile over with the rest of the leaves.

Not me.

I’m all about diminishing. You can eat an elephant one bite at a time (and believe me, if "elephant" is a metaphor for "buffets," I’ve tried). So, my short-term effort has diminished the leaf raking job by a little bit. And my logic was that if I let the leaves dry they wouldn’t weigh so much and be so hard to rake later.

One step at a time.

I cleaned out and straightened up my office on Friday night (don’t ask how sad that is) during the commercials of a NCIS festival.

Don’t worry about finishing the task. Just do one little thing and walk away.

What job could you take a bite out of right now?

No comments:

Post a Comment