Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Blue Hairs on the Boulevard

An older couple just walked by on the sidewalk in front of The Cottage. They were holding hands, cruising along at a steady speed, and just as they passed by my front yard they entered a sunlit area. Wonderful scene.

The cynical side of me thought they looked like an ad for a retirement community or a preneed company.

The other side of me was so envious that I wanted to chase them down and ask, “How’d you do it? How did you weather all the craziness and stresses and conflicts all the…

LET ME STOP HERE…THE COUPLE CAME BACK BY AND I RAN OUT TO GREET THEM AND ASK MY QUESTIONS!

I got an answer I didn’t expect. The folks are in their mid-70s. They’ve been married for only five years. They knew each other as couples for years and when their spouses died they found each other and created a new, different kind of relationship. He’s recently had a stroke and she’s easing him back to health.

Walking back in The Cottage my thought was, “It’s all a journey. You just never know where the journey will take you.”

Where’s your journey taking you?

No comments:

Post a Comment