Monday, October 3, 2011

Hate to Admit It, But I'm a Hater

I know it’s immature to be, but mature to admit being, a hater.

I’m not a hater about everything and everyone. I don’t hate people simply due to their race. I’m not a misogynist or a xenophobe (if you’re a Duke fan, those words mean hating someone just because they’re a woman or because they're from another country).

Wait a minute, that last comment showed that I’m a hater towards Duke and Duke fans…well, that’s not necessarily a bad thing. But, I digress….

I questioned going to my high school reunion because I knew there’d be some folks there who were bullies in jr. high school and I still hold grudges against those bastards.

Mostly, my hates are directed towards slights and perceived insults…and that silliness is slowing me down. I need to work on letting it go.

This morning I may have found an answer. Every Monday I receive a wonderful email from the folks at philosophyworks.com about practical knowledge. Today, this was the lesson:


Forget the Past

A wise man once sat in the audience and cracked a joke.

All laughed like crazy.

After a moment he cracked the same joke again and fewer people laughed this time.

He cracked the same joke again. This time there was no laughter in the crowd.

He smiled and said, "When you cannot laugh on the same joke again and again, then why do you keep crying over the same thing over and over again"?

Forget the past and move on!

Author Unkown

What do you need to let go of?

No comments:

Post a Comment