Monday, November 7, 2011

The Ground Comes Up Pretty Fast

I wish I was a good enough writer to tell you how beautiful the sunset is when you see it while you're hanging from a parachute at about 4,000 feet. It’s incredible.

I also wish I could tell how how to land a parachute…but I can’t…yet.
So, I’m lying here on the couch with my ankle iced realizing that it’ll be a week or two before I can get back in the sky.

Learning to fly and land a parachute appears to be a slow process and, obviously, I’m a slow learner. Remember, my last landing dinged up a part of my body we’ll leave unmentioned. To paraphrase Michael Corleone in the third Godfather movie, “Just as one bodypart was healing another one needs help.”

The folks teaching me to skydive are wonderfully patient and encouraging. My fellow rookies are showing me that I’m not the only one limping away from the first few landings as one guy put it.

And, yes, the question, “Is what I’m going through worth it?” has come up; so far, it is.

Learning to skydive continues to be a wonderful metaphor for a variety of life issues. It isn’t as easy as I’d like for it to be but I have to keep trying until I either get it or it stops being worth trying.

There’s some issue you’re asking the Is it still worth it? question about…and you know the answer in your heart. It may be difficult to face…but…you…know…the…answer.

What’s the issue?

No comments:

Post a Comment