Tuesday, November 15, 2011

How Lucky Are You?

In almost all of my programs there’s a moment in which I talk about luck.

I write LUCK on the board or show it in a PowerPoint and then I explain that LUCK is an acronym, L.U.C.K., that means, Laboring Under Correct Knowledge.

Then I spend some time talking about the importance of Correct Knowledge. I’ve NEVER directly addressed the importance of Laboring…until now.

Oh, I talk about the importance of getting things done and can show you lots of ways to do things more efficiently and effectively. But, I’ve recently realized that I’ve been assuming that folks knew the importance of action. And, we all know what happens when we assume things, right?

A lot of my recent reading and research keeps pointing to the fact that action, even if it’s in the wrong direction at first, is more important than we realize.

The key entrepreneurs of today understand that starting the thing has a power of its own. Actionseems to attract forces that help move the thing toward success.

I’m all for the carpenter’s adage, “Measure twice, cut once,” but in a lot of areas of life the best thing to do is get to cuttin’.

I recently wrote about the importance of 5 minutes. What could you do in the next 5 minutes that would get you started on something?

PS…yesterday I spent an hour raking leaves to the curb in front of The Cottage…5 minutes after that the city truck came by and sucked’em up! How lucky is that?

1 comment:

  1. Thomas Edison is a perfect example of action. He tried thousands of ways to make an electric light bulb before he actually hit on the right one. If he only tried to work it out on paper, he might have said "It can't be done." If he hadn't acted on his inclinations, he probably wouldn't hold 1,093 patents - all results of his "mistakes." If we can only think it and don't act, then we really don't believe we can do it in the first place. James 2:17 says, "Faith without works is dead." Peter got out of the boat and he walked on water. Gotta like the pragmatic approach . . .

    ReplyDelete