Monday, November 14, 2011

Knowing the Path Is Not the Same As.....

Yesterday I caught a small bit of the first Matrix movie and was rewarded with one of those, This Happened for a Reason moments.

Morpheus, the Laurence Fishburn character, says to Neo, played by Keanu Reeves, “Knowing the path is different from walking the path.”

Take just a moment and let that sink in as I did.

I run into lots of folks in my small business seminars who, I believe, know the basics of what it takes to start and run a small business. But, they won’t take a first step out the door and start one.

Relationships are the same way, I believe. Folks know that it takes to have a positive relationship, but they won’t do the hard work.

Which, for some reason, brings to mind the thought, “Do you want to be happy or do you want to be right?” Seems like a natural connection there.

And, if you’ll indulge me for throwing in a gratuitous skydiving reference: Everybody knows how skydiving works, but getting on the plane, stepping out the door and landing a parachute is…a…VERY…different…thing.

What do you know but won’t do?

PS…at the end of the question above if you had one of those middle school or parental thoughts like, “I know how to slam my hand in a car door, but I wouldn’t do that!” Grow up! This is your life we’re talking about and none of us are gettin’ any younger!

No comments:

Post a Comment