Tuesday, November 1, 2011

No Costume? Are You Kiddin'?!

If you had visitors for Halloween last night who had the best costume?

I had the usual troop of princesses, butterflies and vampires. There were soldiers, dancers, Mario Brothers characters and werewolves. I didn’t see many cowboys but I think that’s more an issue of my age and the TV shows I grew up with.

My most imaginative visitor was a kid who came as a stack of pancakes. Surrounding him were layers of foam about 3” thick and some kind of goo that looked like syrup. I kept him at the door to ask about the costume and gave him a ton of candy.

However, I was surprised at how many kids made no effort whatsoever to come up with a costume. They or their parents had spent $1.99 on a plastic pumpkin bucket and they simply showed up at the door (no “Trick or Treat?!” request either), held out the bucket and expected candy.

I usually gave’em one piece (didn’t want to stiff’em, they might come back and egg my house) and they turned, usually without a comment, and walked away.

At the end of the evening I asked, “Why?” and immediately starting making the usual excuses for them….parents were busy, parents were unimaginative (You don’t need a lot of money to create something, though), kids were unimaginative…or…they were simply lazy and felt entitled.

Here’s a basic point about life…more so today than ever before…if you aren’t willing to give a little extra, to get a little bit out of your comfort zone, you won’t get much more than the basic share.

Now, maybe that’s enough for you, and if it is, God Bless You. But, don’t complain about how little you have. Just sit there with your bowl of gruel, be satisfied and shut up.

If you want something more, though, something better, you’d better step up with a more-than-the-minimum performance in work, relationships, sports, spiritual life…whatever.

So, what’s your plan today? Are you comin’ to the door as a stack of pancakes or showin’ up with just a bucket?

No comments:

Post a Comment