Thursday, November 3, 2011

Where Are You Putting Your Nose, Lately?

Not long ago a good friend paid me a wonderful compliment. He said, “I just want to be reading what you’re reading. What book do you have your nose in right now?”

Like a lot of you I do try to read widely and I find that reading beyond my field helps create all kinds of wonderful connections and ideas.
Well, Christmas is right around the corner, so between now and then I’ll offer suggestions for books that could be wonderful stocking stuffers or gifts.

Here’s the first: A History of the World In Six Glasses by Tom Standage. You can get it for $5 or less at Amazon.com. This is a wonderful book for: the beach (lots of what you read will make you want something cool and wet to drink), winter (you’re holed up in the cold anyway, you might as well learn something) or the bathroom (you can read a few pages at the time and still get some great info).

Standage shows that six drinks represent the progress and history of mankind over the last few thousand years. Beer, wine, distilled spirits, coffee, tea and Coca Cola have changed the world.

One section I continue to think about was his comment that the coffee houses of Europe were the Internet of their day. They were places people could go to exchange ideas, find out what’s hot and get folks jazzed up about accomplishing tasks.

This is one of those book gifts that surprise and then delight folks. It’s an, “I’m glad you gave me this,” kind of gift they’ll end up starting on Christmas afternoon.

What book do you have your nose in these days? Zap me at mike@perfectworkday.com and tell me or tell me on Facebook. I’m always looking for a good place to put my nose.

1 comment:

  1. The Diane Rehm Show from WAMU and NPR
    thedianerehmshow.org/
    5 hours ago – http://thedianerehmshow.org/shows/2011-11-25/shyness-and-social-anxiety- ... David McCullough: "The Greater Journey: Americans in Paris" ...


    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_5?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=david+mccullough&sprefix=david

    ReplyDelete