Friday, December 2, 2011

Fins to the Left of Us, Fins to the Right of Us

(Yesterday was the 800th Perfect Workday Blog. Thanks for reading!)

Two men fishing off Wrightsville Beach recently got a visit from an 18-foot Great White shark. Jaws swam around their boat investigating it and eventually bumped the side. At that point the men decide it was time to leave.

When I heard the report I had the thought that hits me every time I hear a shark story: How many people have been scared away from the ocean by the movie Jaws?

Stephen Speilberg told a great story but I’ve often wondered how the money he made for the movie studio and theatre operators compares to the billions lost by coastal communities because millions of people (based on stories by psychologists about shark fears I’m not exaggerating) don’t spend as much time at the beach as they might.

I’ll readily admit, I’m one of those people. I love the surf and will take any opportunity to head to the coast and go body surfing. But, I catch myself constantly scanning the water and looking out to sea anticipating fins.

My hypervigilance lessens my enjoyment of being in the water.

Here’s the catch: You have a better chance of being killed by lightning or bee stings than you do of being attacked by a shark. For the most part, our fears are groundless.

How often do our fears keep us from having the life we could have?

We’re simply the newest version of the caveman who feared venturing out of his cave because of the shadows thrown on the wall by his own fire.

Get out of your cave and have a great weekend. See you Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment