Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Is That a Thought Leaking Out of My Ears?

Sometimes you can overthink an issue

I don’t know if overthink is a word, but if it isn’t, it should be.

I’m not saying that when you’re trying to make an important decision you shouldn’t line up ever single important issue and start doing a back and forth comparison, pros and cons, strengths and weaknesses. That’s good critical thinking.

And I’m not saying you should just jump in with both feet and let emotion sweep you away.

But, when we go back over and over issues that seem to be decided and that make sense we’re worrying the issue to death.

Paralysis by analysis is a phrase you hear a lot in critical thinking programs. It refers to the habit of spending so much time and energy on thinking the problem through that you freeze into inaction. It happens with lots of people who want to start small businesses. They want every little point to be perfect and never step out and try their idea.

Are you overthinking?

Makes your head hurt, doesn’t it?

1 comment:

  1. Love this! I was suffering form "paralysis by analysis" and I had the fortune to participate in your workshop on Guerilla Marketing at FTCC recently. Your 5-5-3 plan and many of the strategies you shared have loosened the holds on my paralysis. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete