Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Slow is Smooth and Smooth is Fast


Since my mother has been ill the tempo of my life has speeded up dramatically.

Trying every day to visit the assisted living facility where she now lives and regularly talking with my brother about her care has laid a layer of complexity on my life that I didn’t expect.

The stress is having a variety of expected and unexpected effects.

The other morning, while on a trip, I was getting dressed. I looked in my travel bag and realized that I had packed two left shoes. I’d just grabbed them and headed out of the house.

I’m forgetting notes I need for meetings; in some cases I’m forgetting the meetings. The office is messier, I’m not working out as often, and I’ve found myself on edge when presenting some seminars.

So, I’m slowing down.

NASCAR has a saying, “Slow is smooth and smooth is fast.”

By slowing down a little you catch what might have been forgotten, you operate more efficiently and you don’t have that just about to fall off a cliff feeling.

Slowing down a little doesn’t mean you get less done. Ironically, it means you can get more done, better.

Slow down just a tad. Catch a breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment