Friday, April 20, 2012

Today Ain't Your Day


My friends David and Felice sent me a goody box for my birthday. There are a variety of items that, while they certainly delight me, are better left unmentioned.

But, one of the presents is a coaster that says, “WARNING! I can only please one person a day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn’t look good either.”

I think that is hilarious!

However, I started thinking about it and realized that on a lot of days that’s my attitude about dealing with people.

You might be like me, you’ve encountered so much poor service, so many people who are lackadaisical about their jobs and so many sour people that you’ve started to expect that most people you run into will be pinheads. And so, that’s what you get.

Years ago I had an attitude that everything turned out for the best…and usually it did. But then I hit some rough patches and forgot that life philosophy and, yes, I got what I expected.

Now I’m trying to change back to a more positive outlook…and I’m getting more of what I positively expect.

So, I’m declaring here and now that I’m going to do two things: Raise my level of expectations about the strangers I encounter and lower my expectations of the job they’ll do.

I’m going to start expecting that they are good folks who want to do a good job…until they show otherwise. And, I’m going to expect a minimum so that whatever I get over that will be a bonus.

How about you? Do you expect the best or worst from folks? Be aware of who you encounter over the weekend and see what you think.

Have a great weekend. See you Monday

No comments:

Post a Comment