Monday, April 16, 2012

Walking Through a Dream

In the early ‘60s, when President John F. Kennedy hosted many of the Nobel Prize winners for dinner he said, “This dining room has never hosted such a collection of intellect…with the exception of when Thomas Jefferson dined alone.”

In about 2 hours I’ll be fulfilling a dream by walking through Jefferson’s home, Monticello.

Spent a little time yesterday walking around the campus at Mr. Jefferson’s University, Virginia, here in Charlottesville. In fact, I had chance to stand in the exact spot where he sat and looked out from the rotunda onto the surrounding hills.

Jefferson has always been, along with Leonardo da Vinci, one of my lifelong heroes, so this weekend is kicking up a lot of emotions; excitement, fulfillment of a dream, creating more dreams, a feeling of satisfaction.

I spent a couple of hours in Kenan Stadium last Saturday watching the football Blue/White intrasquad game. The 2 hours kicked in a lot of anticipation of the coming football season (why can’t they play in the summer? I mean, it’s almost 5 months away!!!).

Is there some WHERE you could go that would pump you up, fulfill a dream, help you feel more complete, make you feel happy?

And, yes, if you’re thinking, “The Greek Islands,” or “Mt. Everest,” or “St. Paul’s Cathedral,” your next thought may be, “I’ll never get there.”

I’m willing to bet, though, that by doing some long- or short-term planning you may be able to make it a reality.

And, I’ll promise you that if you go to the beach, or Mt. Mitchell or the Duke Chapel you’ll  get at least a little of that feeling you seek. If you sit down in a quiet place with a big, coffee table book about your destination your imagination will get you part of the way there.

Go places! See things! The world is a big place and we’re meant to explore and make our dreams come true. This weekend has done some of that for me and encouraged me to want more.

Dream and go get some for yourself.

2 comments:

  1. I hear the ancient history of Thermopylae and the beaches at Normandy calling you to explore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks to Tom's Facebook post, I found my way here. It is nice to find you and I'm already enjoying your thoughts and perspective.

    http://wishfulpreaching.com

    ReplyDelete