It turns out that starting a seventh decade (damn…that makes turning 60 sound a LOT older, doesn’t it?) is easy. You just wake up; which is wonderful considering the alternative.
I was lying in bed this morning thinking, “If I’ve awakened for about 21,900 mornings have I learned anything?”
Here’s what came to mind. This is some of what I’ve learned and doesn’t apply to everyone:
- It’s probably better to stay away from the hard stuff.
Moderation in a lot of areas is better than going off the deep end; but sometimes going off the deep end is the only way to go.
- No matter what your age, your heart can still be broken and your heart can still awaken.
- Stuff can make you feel better, and better about yourself, but only for a little while.
- No one likes tight shoes or tight underwear.
- You can always learn new stuff and learning keeps you young.
- When you wake up in the middle of the night somewhere unfamiliar and have to go to the bathroom walk slowly and make sure you’re really in the bathroom.
- You can do something really crazy like skydiving and live to tell about it. It’s amazing what you can do if you at least try.
- Most people are lemmings, finding a comfort zone and following the crowd. The simple word “excellence” means you are standing out from everyone else.
- If a friend wants you to taste something make sure they’re your friend and look at it first.
- A locked door when you REALLY have to go is true frustration.
- Jumping out of an airplane at 13,500 feet with two parachutes packed by someone you don’t know is TRUE faith.
- Life IS all about attitude.
- Time is an ally but time CAN run out on some things.
- Your best friend doesn’t have to live next door.
- You can make a decision that turns out good for a lot of folks…you can make a decision that hurts a lot of folks.
- Kindles and such will never replace books.
- There are some people you will never like.
- Kenan Stadium on a bright blue, fall Saturday afternoon when the Tar Heels are winning big is about as close to heaven as I’ve been.
- Soft is good, but hard ain’t always bad.
- Farts ARE funny! And, there are some girls/women who think so, too.
- In heaven they use 600-count, Egyptian cotton sheets.
- You can’t tell your mother you love her enough, until you can’t.
- That last point goes for everyone you care about.