Wednesday, June 27, 2012

What Does Breaking a Mirror Mean?


For thousands of years humans have used the concept of signs as a way to perceive life issues. Finding a four-leaf clover is a sign of coming good luck just as much as breaking a mirror is a sign of 7 years of bad luck. I always wondered what would happen if you broke a mirror while bending over to pick up a four-leaf clover.

In Caddyshack, when a golfball sticks on a crow's beak Danny the Caddy says, “Maybe that’s good luck.” Ty (played by Chevy Chase) says, “Yeah, in Haiti.”

We frame these happenings as good or bad based on personal or societal habits, superstitions or spiritual beliefs.

Here’s the cool part: We get to choose.

No matter what society says, we get to choose whether a sign is good or bad, positive or negative, hopeful or depressing.

In the last 24 hours I’ve had a number of issues pop up that I could take either way. I hate to say it but my normal take on them is not positive. But, today I’m going the other way. I’m going to look at them as opportunities to take a positive, hopeful view of life and let them make me stronger instead of weaker.

What signs have you seen today? What’s your call, up or down?

1 comment:

  1. What a great topic!
    Choosing positive, or happiness, or love, or avoidance of conflict......we do get to choose, so we can choose positive affirmations and signs. Thanks for the life affirming reminder. I am on my way to a Perfect Work Day, Thank you!

    ReplyDelete