Thursday, September 6, 2012

Washing the Pig


I’m in the middle of completing an onerous task. This is something I don’t want to do, wish I didn’t have to do, goes against all my strengths, hits me in my weaknesses, is NOT fun and has floundered around on my desk, in my head and in my life, not just for days, weeks or months but for a couple of years.

I’d just as soon someone come to my house and give me a beating as do this. In fact, if you’ll come do it I’ll not only pay you to do it I’ll let you beat me afterwards.

And yes, I could pay someone to do it but I have to be the one who completes it.

Worse yet, it is expected to be completed by people I like and respect by 3:30 pm on Friday.

So, at this moment I have 30 ½ hours to finish it.

I’ve used two strategies to keep going: First, I gave the project a funny name. Rather than calling it what it really is I call it, “Washing the pig.” Whenever I think about it or refer to it I talk about washing the pig and how much has been washed. Right now I have the head, back and two legs washed. Coming up is the worst part; washing the butt.

Only a couple of people know about this project and when I talk to them they ask how far along I am with the pig. In fact, I asked them to keep asking about it so I’d continue to keep the challenge in front of me.

Second, I’m doing one little thing at the time. I’ll do a little bit during commercials of a football game or use my iPhone as a timer and work on the project for 15 minutes at a time.

I know, I know, all you grown-ups and tuffies are saying, “Just step up! Be a man! Get it done! Imagine how good you’ll feel when you complete this.”

I did. I am. I will. I won’t.

But, the pig will be washed at 3:30 tomorrow. I can promise you that.

What pig do you need to wash? Can you come up with a better name? Can you take it one small step at a time?

Imagine how good you’ll *%$#@ feel when….mmm….what’s that smell?

Harrumph! It’s pig. I’d better get back to work.

1 comment:

  1. Deadlines make heros. You will be proud when you slay the pig!

    ReplyDelete