Monday, October 1, 2012

Grasp the Handle


A line in my morning devotional reading jumped off the page at me.

“There is nothing more unsettling than an idea that must be worked out.”

I’m sure there are folks who are able to say, “I’ll worry about that tomorrow,” like Gone With the Wind’s Scarlett O’Hara, but unfortunately, I’m not one of them. Sometimes an idea, a thought, a feeling grabs me and just won’t let go. I’m sure some of you are like that.

A friend who’s a good bit more spiritual than I would offer that it’s God, The Infinite Being, The Divine Reality or the wind (Mother Nature) sending a message.

Another friend…not quite so spiritual…would attribute the ongoing feeling to gas. I can hear him now, “Yeah, brutha, a little more fiber in your diet would clear that attitude right up!”

Whatever it is it’s an issue that must be resolved before I, or you, can continue to move ahead in life.

Sometimes we can bull our way through the situation, make a choice and move on. Other times it seems best to sit back, let the situation play out for awhile to see what happens (maybe the situation will decide itself), and then move ahead.

I keep coming around to Thomas Jefferson’s advice, “Take things always by the smooth handle.”

Sometimes we make things harder on ourselves than we should.

1 comment:

  1. When digging a hole for ourselves, the best remedy always begins by putting the shovel down.

    ReplyDelete