Friday, October 12, 2012

It's a Game! Yaaaaay!


Yesterday I experienced my first fire drill since the early ‘70s when someone phoned in a bomb threat during an exam in college.

I was at a community college and the drill was planned so I knew it was coming. I was walking through the parking lot a classroom building when the alarm went off.

People started streaming out of the building and the differences in facial expressions were amazing.

Lots of the folks had a ticked-off, annoyed look like they were smelling something bad. A few had a, sweet!-I’m-out-of-the-office look.

The best expressions were from a group of mentally-challenged adults. They have a class in the building every day and almost every one of them had a huge smile like they were thinking it’s a game! Yaaaaay!!

I watched some of the employees watching the group and I could tell that some of the folks felt sorry for the challenged group.

But, I started imagining a what if?….what if some of the challenged group was watching the workers and thinking, “Why do you people look so sad and annoyed? You get to come here and play games and have fun with your friends in this beautiful building on a beautiful day!”

What if?

What if we looked at work like that? We get to hang out with our friends and play games and create and compete and have fun and accomplish stuff and celebrate and go home and tell our family about it and then get up and do it all over again the next day!

What if?

Monday will be my 1000th blog. Thanks for reading. See you then.

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment