Thursday, October 11, 2012

Mirror, Mirror


On Monday I was exchanging family members with dementia stories with a good friend.

Now, don’t give me that, “Awwwww, I can’t believe you’d do that!” comment. If you don’t keep some sort of sense of humor about all this it’ll kill your soul.

Anyway, my friend is telling me about being 13 and staying with her grandparents. Her grandfather was a big’ole guy who suffered from dementia.

One day grandpa was walking up and down the hall and stops in front of the mirror…and starts talking to the image in the mirror as if it’s another person; just carrying on a one-sided conversation.

My friend was standing down the hall watching grandpa when she saw him lean forward and say, “You know, you are an attractive fellow.”

We both cracked up.

Later, I was thinking, “How many of us have conversations with ourselves in our minds and the conversations aren’t very positive?” Most research shows that over half of our thoughts are of a negative nature. And, that’s not good for our mental health.

Try this somewhat silly experiment…in private. Stand in front of a mirror and look yourself in the eyes as you would another person…and hold it for thirty seconds. If you can do it, hold it for a minute.

What, and who, do you see? Once you get by the, “I see wrinkles or spots or I need to cut my nose hair,” look upon yourself more kindly; as you would see a friend.

Cut yourself some slack.

Now have a talk with yourself.

“Hey, how ya’ doin?”

1 comment:

  1. Be your own best friend, your critics will make sure you don't get too far ahead of yourself.

    ReplyDelete