Monday, October 22, 2012

You've Got to Do What You Do So I Can Do What I Do


I’m sure you know as well as I do that the work world has changed.

One of the biggest changes is that there is more interdependence than there has ever been. One person has to do what they do (hopefully, well) so that you can do what you do.

I discovered this morning that one of the folks with whom I work has not done their job very well…so it’s makes it more difficult for me to do my job.

You may have been in a situation like this. If so, you wonder what your response should be. Do you let it go and hope they do better next time? Do you say something to them about their lapse?

Your response kinda depends on the severity of the lapse, who the person is, how much they might affect your job down the road; a whole variety of factors. And, thinking about and dealing with the situation takes time that, very often, you don’t have to invest in another person’s mistakes.

In short, their mistake is costing you in time, energy (mental and, sometimes, physical), and possibly reputation.

Now, turn the situation around. Doesn’t it make sense to do the best job you can so you don’t cause the same kinds of problems for others? Because hopefully, others will see you as a role model, see you as taking the lead, and want to emulate your behavior

Be the person you want others to be.

1 comment:

  1. How did you resolve this? Teachable moment? Made a change? Heart to heart? Was this the first time?

    ReplyDelete