Monday, November 19, 2012

Holding Up a Mirror


Last night a friend explained in reasonably direct terms how I come across in some situations.

I joked (or tried to joke) that the description was not exactly flattering.

She said, “If you don’t have friends or coworkers or managers who tell you, every now and then, how you act, you might be acting in a way that doesn’t help you and you would never know.”

As usual, she was right.

We create who we are every day and we do it based on habits. It’s easy to get into habitual behaviors that are comfortable but neither helpful nor supportive of a positive image.

As my friend would say, every now and then we need someone to hold a mirror up for us so we can see who we are.

At that point we get to decide: Do I want to keep being the person I see in the reflection, or do I want to change? It’s our choice.

1 comment:

  1. No one looks like they see themselves in the mirror. We need the reflection of others whether we are prepared to see or hear the message.

    ReplyDelete