Thursday, December 13, 2012

A Totally Clean Desk...Yes!!


I’ve had a totally clean desk for over a week.

No, I haven’t been out of town.

A little over a week ago I made a commitment to have and keep a clean desk. I cleared all the stuff off my desk and put it away.

And, in the interest of full disclosure, I have a table and shelves close by on which I can put all the books, piles of paper, my iPad, Christmas cards to send, a couple of Christmas presents, a camera, a stack of CDs and an empty tequila bottle with my picture on it that some friends made and gave to me.

Yes, you’re right, I’ve simply transferred a lot of my stuff from one place to another. But, there’s a difference…

When you sit behind a clean desk and place materials in front of you it’s easier to concentrate. As I’ve noted in the past, when you are looking at a messy desk you’re looking at a visual To-Do list. Also, walking by my office and looking in and seeing a totally clean desk is uplifting…walking by and seeing all that stuff on my desk was depressing.

Now, I can simply reach over to the table or shelves and take the one or two things I need to work on and bring them to the desk. Focus is better, mood is better, and I’m getting things done more efficiently and effectively.

Even if you’ve got to move all that crap on your desk to the floor you’re better off.

Try it and see if your mood doesn’t jump. At the least you’ll embarrass some of your co-workers into cleaning up their space…and that’s a good thing.

1 comment:

  1. Having respect for your ownspace, which respects your own time allows others to respect you easier...

    ReplyDelete