Monday, December 10, 2012

Anything, But Not Everything


Ran into a conflict of philosophies over the weekend.

Ever since I spent the summer of ’72 sitting on a lifeguard stand and reading Think and Grow Rich and The Success System That Never Fails and The Magic of Thinking BIG I’ve been hooked on success literature.

The basic lesson I took away was that you could have anything if you were willing to work at it hard enough and smart enough.

Here I am now, 40 years later, and I realize that for four decades I’ve made a mistake. I erroneously believed that having anything meant having everything.

Recently, I ran across an essay noting that wanting everything is an immature way of looking at life. Children want it all. The old T-shirt stating, “The one who dies with the most toys wins” is just that...a T-shirt.

Adults are more selective in their wants.

My bad.

I still believe you can have pretty much anything you want if you’re willing to work at it. The key, though, is to make good decisions about your definition of the word anything.

1 comment:

  1. You can have it all....but not at once. An elephant is eaten one bite at a time.

    ReplyDelete