Thursday, December 20, 2012

I'm Worried


“Worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow, it only saps today of its joy.” Leo Buscaglia

I’m worried about five or six things right now.

And, I realize the reality that worry doesn’t help the situation.

So, here’s what I’m doing:
-        - For some of the things I’m worried about I’m asking questions and trying to discover if I truly have anything to worry about or if I’m imagining the worst.
-        - For others I’m slogging bit by bit through the muck of dealing with them, knowing that sooner or later the muck will end and the situation will be dealt with.
-        - For one of the situations I’m realizing that I stepped in it and the best thing I can do is keep my mouth shut and hope it’ll simply blow over.
-        
In each case I’ve asked myself, “What’s the worst that can happen?”
-       
Finally, as for the whole Mayan end-of-the-world scenario, I’ll be at a party…worrying.

What are you worrying about, and how are you dealing with it?

2 comments:

  1. Are you kidding me? I'm the Alfred E. Neuman poster child of worry. I even own a book called, "The Worry Cure". My response to your question is, what level do i put to what i worry about. It's kind of like what you talk about in your seminars of the levels of to-do lists. Mine are, low, guarded, elevated, high and severe. Worrying that a Newtown, CT could happen again is currently on severe. David's next flight falls under the guarded category. But that could change on a moment's notice. Somehow worrying keeps me feeling as though I have some control over the situation, as if I can't get blindsided if I worry about it because I'm prepared for it. Crazy, huh? Yeah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly, most of society runs from worry by staying in a constant state of motion or forever being 'connected'. Solitude and reflection is the best cure for reducing worry.

    ReplyDelete