Thursday, January 10, 2013

Cruisin' for a...Bruisin?


Spent most of the last week on a cruise, my first. We sailed out of Charleston and went to Nassau and Freeport, Bahamas, and back.

The Carnival Cruise ship Fantasy has a gym near the bow (the front of the ship for you non-nautical folks), a buffet near the stern (the back) and four bars and a pool in between so in lots of ways it’s kinda what I expect heaven to be like.

A friend of mine says my life seems to revolve around learning so yesterday, while driving back, I asked myself what I’d learned. During the next few days I’ll offer some of the lessons.

Here’s the first: I’ve been there a couple of times and have discovered that there are two distinctly different Bahamas. And, you get to choose which one is reality for you.

In one vision, what most tourists see in the Bahamas is not what the advertising shows. Ads show palm trees, friendly people and lounging around on a beach with a coconut drink in your hand.

What most tourists see once they get past the bars/trinket stores/t-shirt shops is very different. Imagine going to the worst part of your city--trash everywhere, beaten and broken buildings, broken-down cars, and a lot of folks you wouldn’t want to be caught with after dark, essentially, a third-world country--now , paint everything in pastel colors. That’s the Bahamas.

In the other vision, there are nice, welcoming, smart people; gorgeous scenery and fun places to go; and experiences you’ll remember and talk about for the rest of your life. That’s the Bahamas.

I had some of both visions on this trip. Now, I get to make a choice of which vision I’ll remember most of the time. In my mind and in my comments to others I get to do a thumbs-up or thumbs down.

Life is like that every minute of the day. We get to frame (that’s the term psychologists use) experiences as positive or negative and the direction we consistently choose determines our life outlook.

How’s your cruise through life lookin’?

1 comment:

  1. Life is always what you make it....choose the palm trees blowing in a tropical breeze over burned out cars and trash....and everyday will be a better cruise.

    ReplyDelete