Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Karaoke Star!


The cruise ship had a karaoke bar.

Yes, I’ve done some crazy things. In fact, I’ll admit right here that I’ve done some things that were so outrageous they prompted my friend, the great American philosopher Al Ward, to say, “You know, brother, to you crazy looks like fun from across the room.”

But, one of the crazy things I have NEVER done is sing at a karaoke bar or at any type of karaoke event. No. Never.

So, as I watched some of the folks on the cruise singing in the karaoke bar I was actually embarrassed to watch them. One guy was so bad people started leaving.

However, another singer was wonderful! He sang a country song and was on key with a strong voice and lots of personality.

After his session the MC asked him his name and what he did. He told his name (I forgot) and then said, “I’m a dad.”

I’ve thought about that guy for over a week. Now, I’m not saying “he had his priorities right” because that was his priority, not mine or yours. But he knew exactly who he was.

And not many people do.

Most of us show who we are through our actions even as we say we’re something else.

But, I saw the guy around the ship with his wife and three sons before and after his singing session. The actions I saw backed up what he said when asked, “What do you do?”

If someone asked you the same question what would you say?

To be honest, I don’t know if I have a ready answer for myself.

1 comment:

  1. Too many people...mostly men, are defined by what they do for a living. Is that how self should be defined? is that why employment change can be so difficult? How many times have you asked, 'so what do you do for a living? or where do you live or where did you go to school'? Self esteem should not be so depependent to achievement....

    ReplyDelete