Thursday, January 31, 2013

The Lonely, Little Christmas Tree


There’s a country road I travel a lot and I’ve noticed a Christmas tree lying on the side of the road. It’s in a shady area so it’s still green and the fat end is point out at the road…and it’s starting to annoy me.

I know, I know, I should have better things to think about. I’m not lying awake in bed at night thinking about the tree but…well…you get the idea.

Every time I see it I start wondering, “How’d it get there?” There are only a couple of possibilities: Someone just tossed it? It’s out in the middle of an area where someone would have had to stop and throw it on the side of the road. Or, it blew out of the back of a pickup, my personal choice.

We all have little things that kinda gnaw at us and, right now, this is one for me. I realize, though, that I have only three choices: Forget about it, ignore it, or do something about it.

It’ll be hard to simply forget because I drive by it on a regular basis. I could ignore it by looking the other way when I pass it. Or, I can stop and pick it up and dispose of it (which would be the ecologically sound thing to do), stop and push it down the hill so I don’t see it, or take another road.

I’ll say it again: We all have things that annoy us. We only have three choices.

What issue, person, habit or belief do you have…small or large…that’s getting under your skin?

What are you going to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment