Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Are There Still Pencils Out There?


Do you remember in the first grade the first time a teacher handed you a brand new, sharpened pencil? I do.

I was like, “Are you SERIOUS?!! She’s giving me something sharp and not saying, ‘Now, don’t run with this ‘cause you might put your eye out’”?

And yes, to be honest, before the day was out I ran with it and stuck the point in my hand. And no, for you worry warts, I didn’t get lead poisoning…that I know of.

I don’t know if you’re like me but it seems that I reach for a pen most of the time. In fact, awhile back I realized that I didn’t have any pencils around. I looked through desk drawers, in my work bag and in the junk drawers in the kitchen. No pencils.

So I went out and bought a new box of pencils. I had an electric pencil sharpener that was left over from cleaning out my mother’s house and I had the best time sharpening a bunch of those pencils.

I know, I know, it doesn’t take much to entertain me.

But now, I’m using pencils quite often. I’m constantly using a pencil when I read a book so I can note words, quotes and passages. I love the feel of holding a pencil, the look of the line, the ability to erase and chewing on it.

Sometimes the simplest is the best. And, I don’t run with them anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment