Friday, February 15, 2013

Making the Turn

This morning I was sitting at a stoplight when a song played...and I was sitting in my car over 30 years ago.

Olivia Newton-John is in my area to do a concert so a local radio station was playing her song, "Magic." The DJ noted that it was a Top 10 hit from 1980.

I spent a few moments of almost every working morning of 1980 in the left turn lane at a stoplight at the intersection of E. Cone Blvd. and Yanceyville St. in Greensboro.

I spent those moments praying that one day I'd have the courage to make a U-turn and head back to my apartment, or drive to the beach or the mountains or go do ANYTHING but turn left and go to a job I hated; a job that felt like being caged.

I was 28 years-old, had fumbled my way to a college degree over the course of a decade (I made John Belushi in Animal House look like Einstein), had given up more good jobs than either of my parents ever had, and had totally screwed up a couple of great relationships. I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life but I knew I couldn't spend the next 30+ years turning left.

And one day I didn't.

Have a great weekend...see you Monday.






No comments:

Post a Comment