Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Purge Now, Think Later


Last night I set the timer on my phone to 15 minutes and got to work purging a lot of the files I have. When the timer rang I stopped, took a little break, then set the timer for 15 minutes and started again.

I spent four hours going through “To Read” files, skimming tossing and filing lots of articles I’ve set aside for the past few months. I consolidated and rearranged some files to make it easier to get to the information I need. Junk files got trashed.

Every six months or so you need to take a couple of hours and go through your stuff seeing what you can pare down and do without.

You don’t have to get the whole job done, it’s often overwhelming. Just pick a corner, a closet, a drawer and get to work.

Use the timer on your phone or a baking timer to set short chunks of time. And keep a glass of water handy. The longer you work the more dehydrated you get (especially working in the attic in warm weather) and then you ease over into fatigue and give up.

When was the last time you purged a lot of the stuff you have around?

PS…stop right this minute. If you are reading this in your home or office, look around and find something you can throw away. Don’t think, just do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment