Friday, April 19, 2013

Decision Downsides and The Globe of Death


If you’ve been hanging with me for the past 3 days as I recommend Chip and Dan Heath’s new book Decisive you know that in order to make better decisions you should:
Widen your options
Reality-test your assumptions
Attain some distance

The final step in good decision-making is to prepare to be wrong.

The Heaths suggest bookending the decision by asking, “One year from now, if this decision has gone great, how would we deal with the success?” And, “One year from now, if the decision has gone terribly wrong, can we deal with the failure.”

Is the realistic upside of the decision so great that it’s worth taking the risk? Is the downside of the decision too great to risk?

The Heaths use the acronym WRAP for widening options, reality-testing, attaining distance and preparing to be wrong.

On Tuesday when I started telling you about Decisive I mentioned that I was in the middle of making a big decision. I’m still in the process of working through the decision and I can tell you that Decisive has been invaluable as a roadmap.

As for the weekend, the circus is in town!!May have to go see The Globe of Death!

Enjoy the spring; see you Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment