Thursday, April 4, 2013

Flip a Penny


You’re probably like I am, if you see a penny heads up on the ground you pick it up and think “Yeah! Today’s my day!”

If you see a penny tails up you may leave it where it lays.

(Or, you may be like the tightwad hunter in the Southeastern North Carolina myth who supposedly dug the vacation spots—White Lake, Black Lake and Jones Lake—looking for the quarter he supposedly dropped while out looking for deer…and you pick up the penny no matter what its position.)

For the last few years I’ve played a little game with the universe involving pennies. As I’m leaving a store or simply walking along a sidewalk, if I notice no one around I’ll pull out a penny and place it face up on the sidewalk. I do the little act because I know someone will come by later, find the penny, and have the “Yeah! Today’s my day!” feeling. Playing the little game gives me a good feeling and it’s cheap, cheap, cheap.

Today I had a wonderful occurrence. I played the place-a-penny game in front of Lowe’s grocery store and then headed for my car in the parking lot. I’d walked about fifty yards, looked down and found…a nickel. Not a bad return on my investment…500%!

It struck me, though, that that’s what life’s like a lot of the time. If you’ll invest a little money, time, energy, love…whatever you have…you’ll often get a reward greater than what you invested. If you think that’s how life works, that’s how it works.

The only rule is that you can’t make the investment expecting the return. Somehow the universe knows you’re faking it.

Try the penny game and see how it makes you feel. You’ll love it.

PS…I used to pass by the tails up pennies, but now I flip them over and keep walking. For some reason my infantile mind believes I’m turning something that might be less than positive into something good.

1 comment:

  1. So true! It's the little things.
    I think the phrase is "find a penny pick it up, all day long you'll have good luck..." (nothing about heads or tails!) and continues "give the penny to a friend and your luck will never end..."

    Thanks for your blog! I enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete