Friday, June 21, 2013

First Day of Summer

Today is the Summer Solstice, the longest day of the year and the first day of Summer.

I know when writing by the rules I’m not supposed to capitalize the word, Summer.

But, you know, when talking about Summer and what the word and spirit includes it’s one of those words that just begs to be capitalized.

So, whataya have on tap for this Summer? Headed to the Beach (there’s another one)? Taking a Vacation? Lots of Friends and Family time? Maybe just some serious Relaxation?

Love. Spirit. Beauty. Sex. Money. Working Out. Movies. Books. Reading. College Football. Salma Hayek. (I know, I know, but this is my list) Cold Beer. Cigars. Old T-Shirts. Boxer Shorts. Flip Flops. Writing.

Riding With All The Windows Down.

That’s my partial list of words important enough to be capitalized. What’s yours?

Remember when Summer meant fewer responsibilities? Yeah, I get the fact that we had chores (or should have had) and some of us had summer jobs.

But, even some of the summer jobs were fun. If you’ve never had the pleasure of sitting on a lifeguard stand on a summer day, twirling a whistle on a shoestring around your fingers, with the blue sky above and sparkling pool below. I can tell you that it makes you feel like a god…or God.

Too often, as we age, we get so wound up in being grown-ups that we forget what it’s like to let go, to just relax, to…just…be.

Try it for a few minutes. Use the simple exercise above. What 5 or 10 words or phrases are important enough in your life to capitalize?

This is a great Weekend to begin your Summer. Pick two of your words or phrases and focus on them.

I’m going to Work Out and go to the Movies.

See you Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment