Thursday, June 27, 2013

If You Gave Me More Money....

Yesterday, I heard someone fire up the old comment, “If they gave me more money I’d be doing more work.”

I know it’s short-sighted on my part but whenever I hear that comment I want to offer, “Here’s the door, don’t let it hit you on the way out.”

So many folks think the world is based on Have-Be-Do. If I Have the money (or love or reputation or whatever reward you want to name) then I’ll Be what you or I want me to Be and then I’ll Do what you or I want me to Do.

But, life doesn’t work like that. You have to Do it first. And, I don’t mean just Do it once. In most cases you’ll need to Do it consistently over time to prove that you are who we or you want you to Be. Then, you’ll get to Have it.

Real life works on Do-Be-Have.

Now, I’ll admit that there are some bosses/companies/organizations/movements that will let you Do it forever and won’t want to give you the reward you deserve; they are users.


In those cases you get to make the choice of staying or moving on. 

The great thing about the choice is that you’ve proven you can Do it. And, not just Do it once, you’ve proven you can Do it consistently over time. You will Be someone who can be trusted, given more responsibility and deserves more rewards. 

You'll be in a stronger bargaining position.

No comments:

Post a Comment