Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Treat New Nice, Treat Old Awful

Last night I was talking with a friend about the strategy of some companies to offer deals to new customers to get them to sign up or buy a product. But, they won’t offer the same deal to current customers.

“Sorry, sir. That offer is only extended to our new members/customers/patients.”

What up wid dat?!!!

So, let me get this straight. You love the new customer more than you love me and I’ve been doing business with you for how long?

That’s just stupid.

Here’s the deal: It costs five times as much to gain a new customer as it does to maintain a current customer.

And, if the current customer is happy they’ll tell potential customers about you.

What do you think they’ll tell if they’ve been told, “We don’t love you as much as we do a new customer”?

I’m saying “love the one you’re with.” And, I’m saying, “love the one who’s with you.”


Unfortunately, we sometimes treat other people better than we treat those closest to us. That’s why in business you need to catch people doing things right and in relationships you need to tell folks you love’em every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment