Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Sleeping With No Socks

This morning on the Let’s Give a 5th Grade Class a Camera Show (also known as Good Morning America on ABC TV) they did a story about the temperature at which folks like to sleep.

Tomorrow’s July 4th story lineup includes “What Color Shoes Did Martha Washington Prefer?” “Why Did Thomas Jefferson’s Hair Always Look Like The Supremes?” and “Who Invented the Dot in GoodMorningAmerica.Com?”

Once again, vacation—or, vacamacation, as I like to call it—has caused me to stray from my path.

In the story about sleeping temperature they used the term “meat locker.” At that point, I perked up. I LOVE a cold room when I sleep. I have a friend, though, who’d just as soon sleep under 7 quilts with the bed on fire, a hot blowdryer hanging from the ceiling and pointed at her head, and a kerosene heater in the room turned to “High.”

Makes for an interesting combination.

There’s nothing wrong with wanting to be comfortable but being in a steady, easy, non-challenging state for too long makes us lazy, careless and easy to defeat. (and don’t get me started on the belief that we, as Americans, are sliding into that sort of societal situation)

Everyone needs an area of life in which we are challenged; an area that pushes to keep us at the top of our game, at least in that area. Some folks look for those challenges at work, others in their workout routines and still others in relationships.

 Are you at the top of your game in any area of life? If so, great!

If not, find an area and push yourself a little. We’ve long known that by pushing to succeed or discipline ourselves in one area of life we learn skills we can carry over into other activities.


When my brother and I were little boys our father wouldn’t let us wear socks to bed, even on the coldest nights. He thought it made us tougher. I don’t know if that happened but I do know I love sleeping in a cold-as-a-meat-locker room. 

And yes, in the dead of winter I sleep wearing socks.

No comments:

Post a Comment